Sunday, November 21, 2010

Somethings Cooking.....

I am reminded of several ad lines as I write this post. Sardiyan kitni khushnuma hoti hai/Winter Yaani ki kuch extra/Winter's in the breeze...in my heart I am feeling good etc. etc. Yes, Winter is here. Being in Delhi NCR you get to experience all the four seasons. This is our second Winter here. We just loved the first one( also served as inspiration for some of my blog posts). I think I just cook more in Winters and maybe we also eat more( that battle of the bulge always seems a little tougher). Today there was lots cooking/baking in my kitchen. Niece was baking Raindrop's Chocolate Cake(turned out to be really soft and spongy- again as with all Raindrop cakes it is almost gone as I write), then there was a quick vegetable pulao( the aroma of basmati and whole spices was irresistible even my husband agreed to eat rice just for this one day) and some Chinese chilli paneer mushroom and baby corn dish. That was lunch. Right now I am making some Chicken stew( a staple dish for us during Winter/Moonsoon evenings) and some cheesy pasta for the boys. We will have the stew with some brown bread and herbed butter. With all that cooking I just about have time to write about one dish, so Chinese Chilli it shall be. But others shall follow soon.

Chinese Chilli

Ingredients

Mushrooms: 200 grams, halved
Baby corn: 4/5, sliced into long strips( halve the baby corn and cut into two inch long pieces)
Paneer: 100 grams, cubed
Onions: 2 medium sized ones, Quartered( you could also use shallots for this dish)
Capsicum: Half a medium sized capsicum, cubed( same size as the paneer)
Green Chillies: 4/5 slit at the top( this adds a lot of flavor, remove them later if serving to children)
Knorr chinese chilli mix: 1 packet( I always keep a pac
ket handy, the dish really gets done in a jiffy)
Oil: 1 tbsp

Method

  • Heat the oil. Add the onions and saute for a few minutes till they start to look glassy
  • Next add the mushroom and baby corn and saute for a while.
  • Add the paneer, capsicum and green chillies and mix the vegetables around taking care not to break the paneer.
  • Mix the Knorr Chinese chilli mix with three cups of water and add to the dish. Bring the gravy to a boil and simmer for two minutes.
  • Serve hot
Goes equally well with a pulao or plain steamed rice or boiled noodles. If serving with noodles make sure you leave a little more gravy. Delicious whichever way you wish to make it.

Happy Cooking and Bon Apetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment