Sunday, September 26, 2010

The 32nd Milestone






The name of this post is inspired by a 'hip and happening' place in Gurgaon by the same name. This is my 32nd post( so the name is relevant, literally and figuratively) and I am quite delighted that I have managed to upload 31 recipes and food stories in the last one year. Being a foodie I find blogging about food therapeutic. "The more I cook the more I blog, the more I blog the more I cook", yes, it is a vicious circle but me is not complaining.

My son feels that I should put up something really nice as my 32nd post( given that I have created so much of drama around the name, this one ought to be a little different).

So presenting Murgh Kali Mirch, sheer indulgence. Though it is very easily made the lean way and that is how I usually make it. Had sampled a version of it years back at my friend S's place. Had loved it then and wished there had been a little more gravy for me to lick. This one makes you want a little more.

Murgh Kali Mirch

Ingredients

Chicken: 500 grams( I prefer to cook chicken with the bones, pieces turn out to be more succulent as compared to the boneless version. I reserve the boneless ones for Salads, Pasta, Sandwich spreads etc. where you just can't have it any other way)
Onion: 2/3 medium sized onions chopped fine
Hung curd/Thick Dahi: 4/5 tbsps
Whole pepper: 8/10 pods( this dish calls for freshly ground pepper as pepper is the predominant spice)
Whole garam masala: 2 green cardamom and 1 inch stick of cinnamon( grind them with the pepper).
Ginger-Garlic paste: 1tbsp
Salt: To taste, about 1 tsp
Sugar: 1/4 tsp
Ghee/oil: 1 tbsp
Cream(Optional, but let me tell you that this is one dish where cream makes a difference to the consistency and taste. So maybe just this one time you can add the cream): 1 to 2 tbsp
Green corriander: 1/2 cup, finely chopped

Method

Beat the curd with salt, sugar and the ginger garlic paste( adding a bit of sugar to the marinade ensure the dahi does not curdle on heating). Add the chicken pieces(prick the pieces with a fork for the chicken to soak in the marinade). Keep the mixture in the refrigerator and let it sit for at least 4/5 hours.

Heat a cooking pan and add the oil/ghee. Once the ghee/oil gets heated up add the onions and fry till they turn glassy. Then add the chicken pieces with the marinade, add the ground whole spices and let it simmer for about 30/45. Keep stirring it from time to time, turning the pieces around.

Once the chicken is almost done add the cream( if using cream) and finely chopped corriander.

Serve hot with a roti and pulao.

This is an ideal dish to make when you are entertaining. Very little cooking time and sure to be liked.

So Happy cooking and Bon Apetit!

I am now looking forward to the 50th milestone. Wish me good luck!

P.S: The photographs do not do justice to the dish. Will replace them with better photographs the next time I make this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment